6 ways to shop local! Check out this article here, in newsstands or online at Abode
This season, Betty helps you think outside the gift box. Don’t fall into the Amazon trap; instead, give the gift of patronizing local businesses!
1. Couch shoppers, head to a cool new online gift shop created by Kate Bennis, Redbud Gifts, which offers local gifts, goodies, and experiences as well as charitable giving opportunities. Purchase a massage or language class, or have a local filmmaker “make your movie.” Everything in the shop originates within 100 miles of Charlottesville. See redbudgifts.com.
2. Visit the Craftacular, a favorite venue of mine for unique hand-made gifts featuring local artists and designers, held this year at Cityspace on December 10 and 11, 10am-6pm.
3. Check out the great selection of upcycled clothing at Firefish Gallery, on Second St. NW just off the Mall.
4. Choose a book written by Virginia authors at Crozet’s Over the Moon Bookstore and Gallery or at one of the many used bookstores in town.
5. Support the local live-performance scene with tickets to a show at the Jefferson Theater, The Southern, Paramount or Live Arts.
6. Bring your holiday host a fine Virginia wine, or Red Rocker Candy (I’m addicted) made in Troy.
Happy Holidays! Betty
Monday, December 12, 2011
Posted by BWB at 8:02 PM