Monday, January 26, 2009

Getting there...


If you haven't read lately, January's focus for saving energy in my home has been to seal any and all cracks and hang insulated drapes before I turn the corner into February where I will be researching/purchasing/installing more insulation for the attic. In the above photo I've shown a couple new bulbs I bought for a new floor lamp, the rope caulk I talked about in an earlier blog, V-seal, and an example of a eco-friendly window treatment choice (which will be backed with an insulating layer) from smithnoble.com.

I can't believe there are only four days left in January and I STILL don't have the drapes ordered for our bedroom and our living room. Seems I had no trouble purchasing some funky transparent kind from a local vendor that will save
.00000000001% of our home energy costs.

On the brighter side though, the downstairs drapes are up and the rope caulk I've used around our leaky windows is working pretty well, not great (I've had to repinch a couple times already). I also had my favorite handyman Joe Noonan repair our stovetop vent that was letting the outside air into the kitchen (he had to replace the spring on the outside vent) and he reinforced the duct work below the stove. (He also replaced our broken mailbox and, of course, told him - Don't you dare throw the old one away!! My friend will be using it for the kids' outside fort)

This stuff may sound like pittance in the big scheme, but guess what? And I'm quoting my husband who is quoting his mother here) "By the mile it's a trial, by the yard it's hard, but by the inch, it's a cinch." Do what you can, when you can, especially in these times.

Best,
BWB

1 comment:

Environmental Research Solutions! said...

Betty,
Please do not forget that your old spent CFLs err Compact Fluorescent Bulbs can be dropped off at the McIntire Road Recycling Center...they are collected there at the recycling center and then recycled thru a company in Richmond called AERC..