Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Some of my favorite pre-K books encouraging environmental stewardship

The Lorax by Dr. Seuss (love it)
Recycle! by Gail Gibbons (her non-fiction is always beautifully straight-forward)
Don't Pollute by Stan and Jan Berenstain (old school green effort)
The Down-to-Earth Guide to Global Warming by Laurie David and Cambria Gordon (informative and reader-friendly)
Welcome to the Green House by Jane Yolen (beautiful celebration of the tropical rainforest)
Hush Little Baby by Sylvia Long (nice re-invention of the familiar consumerist lullaby)
Brother Eagle, Sister Sky by Susan Jeffers (Chief Seattle's words)
People by Peter Spier (great gift book - how we are all connected to the human family)

Bring the list the next time you visit your favorite library or used bookstore (for listings check better world betty).

I welcome more suggestions!

Peace,
BWB

2 comments:

Kate said...

Hi Betty!

Jim Duncan sent me your blog! I am new in town. I just moved from Vermont and will be opening a business in Belvedere. I am a therapist and an educator, and one of my classes is called Makin' Tracks (you can see about it at http://www.dummerstonarts.com). It is a preschool program that teaches about nature. I have a long list of books I use, as each class honors an element in nature. My favorites include:

Forest Child
Giving Thanks
The Forest
Nora's Stars
The Beast, The Beast
The Dandelion Seed
The River Story
The Empty Pot

That is just a few. My lessons encourage stewardship, and they also teach respect for all things. I tell many stories, too.

Thanks for your blog!

Kate White

BWB said...

I'll add them to my list of must-reads. Thanks!